Car Buying Tips
Selecting the Right CarPrint
Your car should fit your lifestyle and personality. Some features, like safety and engineering dynamics, are must haves. But others are purely up to your style and taste.
Size and StyleConsider how many passengers (or gear) you'll be lugging around, and also where you'll be parking the vehicle.
- Compact, mid-size or large vehicle? A two-door coupe or a four-door sedan? Do you want a crossover, Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV), station wagon or minivan?
- If it’s a larger vehicle do you want a third row, bucket or bench seating? Does your car need to fit into a driveway, garage or parking space?
- Do you need a pass thru to the trunk for skis or other stuff; seats that fold, split or fold-flat? Do you want a hatchback or need a large trunk?
- Do you require a vehicle that is handicap accessible?
- Color is key
- Interior options: do you prefer leather, chrome, wood, bright colors or dark colors?
- Do you want 16 way-heated leather seats or cloth seats with lumbar support?
- Do you want a spacious cabin that resembles your living room or a cozy sports-car cockpit?
What’s it for?
- Is this your primary or secondary vehicle?
- For business travel or daily commute?
- Will you be hauling soccer crews and taking road trips?
- Towing a boat or trailer?
- Do you need to impress clients or colleagues?
- Are you looking for a fuel-efficient ride?
- 4, 6, or 8 or more cylinders?
- Alternative fuel (hybrid, electric, ethanol etc.)
- How about diesel?
Weather and road conditions: Are you really going off-road?
- Do you need front-wheel, rear-wheel, four-wheel or all-wheel drive?
SafetyAside from front and side airbags, ABS, fog lights, daytime running lights, 3-point seatbelts and other standard safety needs, here’s some options to consider:
- Child proof door locks and automatic sliding doors and windows that are pinch proof
- Night vision system
- Backup warning system: camera or beeper
- Navigation System or OnStar
- Lane Departure Warning System
- Cruise control
- Power steering
- Power windows, power side mirrors, power sliding doors
- Tinted glass
- Remote entry
- Tilting and telescoping steering wheel
- Adjustable pedals (for people of all sizes)
- Remote trunk release
- Heated or cooled seats
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Extended service contract
- Tire/Wheel protection
- Paint sealant
- Sun roof/Moon roof
- Fabric protection
- Rust proofing or undercoating
- Alarm system
- Top of the line sound systems with options including satellite radio, MP3 and iPod connectivity, extra speakers
- Theft Deterrent System
- Entertainment system with wireless headsets